- REM may only be used where statements are allowed unlike apostrophe comments which may be included anywhere.
- REM must appear as the last, or only, statement on a line. Any following statements are included in the comment text and ignored.
- QBasic metacommands like $INCLUDE must be included in a comment using either REM or apostrophe.
- Apostrophe comments, unavailable in earlier dialects of the BASIC language, are now generally favored over REM statements for their greater flexibility.
- Comments are also useful for disabling code for program testing and debugging purposes.
Avoiding an END IF error.
REM This is a remark... ' This is also a remark... IF a = 0 THEN REM this statement is executed so this is a single-line IF statement IF a = 0 THEN ' this comment is not executed so this is a multi-line IF statement and END IF is required END IF