position% = INSTR([start%,] baseString$, searchString$)
- The optional literal or variable INTEGER start% indicates where in the baseString$ the search must start.
- The baseString$ is a literal or variable STRING value to be searched for an exact match including UCASE$.
- The searchString$ is a literal or variable STRING value being searched.
- The function returns the position% in the baseString$ where the searchString$ was found.
- position% will be 0 if the search found no matches in the base string.
- INSTR returns 0 if an empty baseString$ is passed, and returns 1 with an empty searchString$.
- The start% position is useful when making multiple searches in the same string. See the example below.
- The searchString$ should be smaller or equal in LEN to the baseString$, or 0 is returned.
- Non-zero position% return values can be used as a new start position by adding 1 to re-search the base string. See the example below.
- In a loop, INSTR can search an entire file for occurences of certain words. See the MID$ (statement) statement example.
- To search right to left, use _INSTRREV
- The start% position had to be at least 1 or greater when used or there will be an ERROR Codes error. In QB64, a start% value of 0 or negative is interpreted as 1 and doesn’t generate an error.
Reading more than one instance of a word in a string using the INSTR return value as the start value plus 1.
text$ = "The cats and dogs where playing, even though dogs don't like cats." DO findcats% = INSTR(findcats% + 1, text$, "cats") ' find another occurance after IF findcats% THEN PRINT "There is 'cats' in the string at position:"; findcats% LOOP UNTIL findcats% = 0 findmonkey% = INSTR(text$, "monkeys") ' find any occurance? PRINT findmonkey%; "'monkeys' were found so it returned:"; findmonkey%
There is 'cats' in the string at position: 5 There is 'cats' in the string at position: 62 0 'monkeys' were found so INSTR returned: 0
Explanation: When the INSTR return value is 0 there are no more instances of a string in a string so the search loop is exited.