The CLS statement clears the _DEST.
CLS [method%] [, bgColor&]
- method% specifies which parts of the page to clear, and can have one of the following values:
- CLS - clears the active graphics or text viewport or the entire text screen and refreshes bottom function KEY LIST line.
- CLS 0 - Clears the entire page of text and graphics. Print cursor is moved to row 1 at column 1.
- CLS 1 - Clears only the graphics view port. Has no effect for text mode.
- CLS 2 - Clears only the text view port. The print cursor is moved to the top row of the text view port at column 1.
- The bgColor& specifies the color attribute or palette index to use when clearing the screen in QB64.
- In legacy SCREEN modes bgColor& specifies the color attribute of the background.
- For 32-bit graphics mode, bgColor& specifies the _RGB or _RGBA color to use.
- 32-bit screen surface backgrounds (black) have zero _ALPHA so that they are transparent when placed over other surfaces.
- Use CLS or _DONTBLEND to make a new surface background _ALPHA 255 or opaque.
- If not specified, bgColor& is assumed to be the current background color. 32-bit backgrounds will change to opaque.
- If bgColor& is not a valid attribute, an ERROR Codes error will occur.
- Use _PRINTMODE to allow the background colors to be visible through the text or the text background.
Printing black text on a white background in QB64.
SCREEN 12 CLS , 15 _PRINTMODE _KEEPBACKGROUND 'keeps the text background visible COLOR 0: PRINT "This is black text on a white background!" K$ = INPUT$(1)
Explanation: _PRINTMODE can be used with PRINT or _PRINTSTRING to make the text or the text background transparent.
You don’t need to do anything special to use a .PNG image with alpha/transparency. Here’s a simple example:
SCREEN _NEWIMAGE(640, 480, 32) CLS , _RGB(0, 255, 0) i = _LOADIMAGE(**"qb64_trans.png"**) 'see note below examples to get the image _PUTIMAGE (0, 0), i 'places image at upper left corner of window w/o stretching it
Explanation: When QB64 loads a .PNG file containing a transparent color, that color will be properly treated as transparent when _PUTIMAGE is used to put it onto another image. You can use a .PNG file containing transparency information in a 256-color screen mode in QB64. CLS sets the _CLEARCOLOR setting using _RGB.